The object was included in the State Register of monuments of local importance by the decision of Lviv executive committee №330 on 24 June 1986 and was given №677-m. Address: 2 Kotsiubynsky Street. Memorial belongs to communal property.
The building is located to the east of the downtown, in a distance from the red line on the special territory belonging to the memorial. The building complex is in the sense of a three-storey cellar. The main entrance is decorated with risalit pointed gable. The ground floor is decorated with rustication, window and door openings are framed with castle stones, sandriks and others. The plane walls are segmented with pilasters and mirrors. The planning system is in the passage shape. The space solution of stairs and staircases is extremely interesting.
The ceremonial laying of the cornerstone for the new school building was held on 10 May, 1881, and on 4 September 1883 the school started functioning. The gymnasium was named after the heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Crown Prince Rudolf. During the First World War the building was occupied by military barracks and hospital. In the interwar period, there was a Polish state gymnasium named after Yu.Kozhenovskie, and with the arrival in 1939 of the Bolsheviks – high school number 5 in Ukrainian language. At the time of World War II, the building was again occupied by the barracks, which housed German military. After the second coming of Bolsheviks former school building was transferred to the secondary school №1. In 1997 school was revived, and two years later she received the name of the famous Ukrainian artist Ivan Trush.
The school was Alma Mater for a number of prominent figures. There was an outstanding Ukrainian scientist, a writer, a translator V.Schurat (1871-1947), historians: Polish Roman Mauer (1852-1884) and Ukrainian Ivan Sozansky (1881-1911), a social worker Edward Michael (1889-1941) and others. The gymnasium walls became native for the famous Ukrainian artist Ivan Trush (1869-1941) and Nicholas Fedyuk (1885-1962), a Polish sculptor, the author of A.Mitskevych monument in Lviv Antoni Popiel (1865-1910) ; writers: the prominent Austrian Jewish writer Joseph Roth (1894-1939); Ukrainian writers: Vladimir Hronovych (1890-1973), Stephen Tudor (1892-1941),the poet, translator, linguist Vasily Yaschun (1915-2001), a Polish writer, painter, sculptor Buchkovsky Leopold (1905-1989); Ukrainian folklorist Osip Rosdolsky (1872-1945); Nathan Gelber, Jewish historian (1891-1966); Ukrainian scientist -pharmacist Nicholas Turkevych (1912-1989), Ukrainian community leaders : Julian Dzerovych (1871-1943) and Fr. Zastyrets Joseph (1873-1943); Generals:of the Ukrainian Galician Army Myron Tarnavskyy (1869-1938), the Polish Army brigade Bernard Le Monde (1887-1957); leaders of Ukrainian national liberation movement 1940-1950s. Andrey Turchin (1912-2004), Peter Fedun (Poltava) (1919-1951) and many others. The secondary school №1 was native for the graduated Ukrainian Yaroslav Dudchak, a physicist (1933-1988), Ukrainian sculptor Bogdan Romanets (1939-2009).